Monday, July 18, 2011

Life Lessons



So yesterday I finished my first triathlon. Nothing spectacular in my performance mind you, just finished it. I didn't finish as strong as I wanted to; didn't do as well as I would have liked. Although, I did make a goal or myself, the goal I made for myself was a simple one - #1 - finish and #2 - make it in under 2 hours. So, I accomplished my goals.



Here is my problem...I can't be satisfied with my achievements - why can't I??? What is it about me that makes me finish something and then have to overanalyze it to the point where the achievement gets belittled somehow? I read somewhere an article by someone (can't remember the name of the article or the author) that talked about how we should really enjoy the victories that we have in our lives and savor them. How we should try to enjoy the achievements as much as possible before moving on. I somehow only allow myself about 4 hours or so of the feeling of accomplishment before I'm moving on to the next race, the next training plan, how I can constantly do something MORE. The unfortunate result of this trait that I have is that I just can't be satisfied. So, this morning I woke up and worked out and then sat down and started planning for my next race. HAHA ... guess I am embracing this 'flaw' in my personality and maybe...just maybe I will learn how to harness it and make it into something more positive! But for now I can say, I finished my first triathlon. :) (next year will be better! haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment