Thursday, April 28, 2011

GROCERIES & TECH WEEK



So here I am in another tech week. For those non-theater people out there (do you exist?? lol) - tech week is the week a show opens (a musical or play on a stage usually). During this week not only are you fixing any last minute staging issues (ie...blocking, musical notes, choreography) but you are also getting the lighting as perfect as possible; getting the sound system set up; making sure those technicians have all of their cues written in correctly; making the set; last minute costume alterations; and the list goes on and on and on. I am so thankful I am not a director - I have enough on my plate when it comes to being in charge of the musical aspect of these performances.



Speaking of plates however...but I am getting ahead of myself and should give you some background information.



When I decided to stay home with the kids and resign my position of being a choral teacher Ben and I both decided that I would have to supplement his income to pay for things like groceries and gas. So, I did what any other self-respecting music teacher would do - I started a private lesson studio out of my home. I teach now about 15 students raging in ages from 7-17 and enjoy it more thoroughly then I ever thought would be possible. Because I am also a piano player and enjoy those performances as well, I thought it only fitting that I could accompany shows; concerts; musical events whenever possible to not only fulfill the grocery and gas obligation but also to fulfill my love of music. It's a win/win....



However, the week I have a tech week (like this week) I usually end up cancelling all of my private students lessons...I sometimes try to fit them in but after 3 hour long rehearsals I am simply exhausted and wonder, quite frankly, if those students are getting the best lesson possible from me (probably not!). So, what ends up happening is we have a deficit in our cash flow during those tech weeks. Now, before you all start opening up your wallets and tossing some cash in my direction (but please do not let me stop you lol) - there is one big benefit to this cash deficit and lack of groceries...and the benefit is this: I have been forced to become more creative in my culinary aspirations for my family.



I take my job of cooking for three boys (um four boys haha) very seriously in that I want those meals to, whenever possible, fulfill a few qualifications. Firstly, they must be as healthy as possible. Secondly, they must be something the boys will at least ATTEMPT to try, even if they end up hating it they have to try it and it has to look appealing for that to happen. And lastly, and really only for me, I want it to be creative. I am someone who gets so bored with the same old same old meals that we enjoy and I try, whenever possible, to mix things up. So, during a tech week and lack of grocery shopping I have to be creative with what is already in my pantry/cupboards/refrigerator.



Last tech week I had I found I had a few frozen chicken thighs; some ingrediants for pie crust and a few cans of vegetables that I had bought (I NEVER buy canned veggies but these were on a wicked sale so I thought, hey, maybe I'll use them) and POOF - chicken pot pie. Now, this is not a luxurious meal by any standard but it was made from items I found that I didn't even know I had quite frankly. Today I am making quiche lorraine - sounds fancy huh? Well, it really isnt...eggs, bacon, cheese and some pie crust...all in my fridge and ready to go. Will my boys eat it? Absolutely. Is it healthy? Well, that one is slightly questionable - it's not deep fried so I guess it passes the test this week. Is it creative? Yep - because I raided my fridge and cupboards to come up with it so I'm pretty proud of myself.



These weeks of intense rehearsals; exhaustion and no groceries I find solace in the fact that I can look deep into the recesses of my cupboards and, like they do on the show 'Chopped', create a savory meal for my family and it costs me next to nothing. So, when I return from my 3 1/2 hour rehearsal tonight, I know that my family will have eaten well - and hopefully there will be something leftover for me to heat up in my microwave and be thankful that I have a family that has their stomachs fed; a job that I love doing & a meal...now if only I could get rid of the tech week 'illness' of constantly singing the same songs over and over and over and over in my head - then and only then would we be 'golden'. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment