
So I feel the need to purge a big pet peeve of mine. Why is it that parents seem to be so impatient when waiting to pick up their children at school?!? At our school we have a car loop and we have a bus loop. Both of them are used during drop offs and dismissal times. The concept of dropping off and picking up children would seem to be one that could be figured out easily by even the most brainless of adults. However, it seems that once parents pull into that 'loop 'o fun' they drop their brains off at the entrance.
The first thing I've noticed is that parents feel that their children don't have legs. What I mean is - during drop off times parents feel the need to drop their children off as close to the entrance as possible, even when it means that they stop their car in a way that doesn't allow many other cars to drop off their children at the same time. I mean, didn't our parents have to walk to school 10 miles in the snow with no shoes?!? Why can't your child walk 50 more feet and allow me to drop off my child too???
The second thing I've noticed is that people either don't pull up close enough to the car in front of them or they are so close they almost rear end you. Actually I WAS rear ended in the car loop two years ago - ridiculousness.
And lastly, the thing that really gets me going is people think it's okay to pull out of the loop formation and race ahead of the line. For various reasons, maybe some valid but this is doubtful, they think that its okay to cut off the rest of the line and also in the process risk running into an errant child who may be having to get into their parents car on the inside of the loop.
So everyday I sit in this car loop on drop off and pick up and think about all of these impatient souls and wonder if everyone just took their time with this process how much easier it might be for everyone involved. And I think that if we all had to walk to school 10 miles in the snow with no shoes, maybe the art of just waiting for 5 minutes wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish.
There, I said it - now I feel way better...okay, maybe just a little bit better but still... :)
Ten miles...in the snow....with NO SHOES? I don't think I ever told you that!
ReplyDeleteI always hated the drop off and pickup as well. You'd think they would have improved things by now. At least I had a couple more options - I picked Tyler up on Church Street because then I didn't hvae to drive into the school at all. I feel your pain.
i don't seem to remember mom EVER dropping off OR picking up...so she can't chime in on this one....but yes, annoyances...patience people!!!! patience!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know - I guess I keep wondering to myself - how much time are you REALLY saving by jockeying for position in the stupid line?!? 2 minutes? I just keep (unfortunatly) thinking that it might take someone getting hurt for people to stop being idiots. :(
ReplyDelete