Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Learning of how to be Quiet


"We need quiet time to examine ourselves openly and honestly...spending quiet time alone gives your mind an opportunity to renew itself and create order." - Susan Taylor.


So, this is something I need to learn to do. I do not, as a general rule, enjoy quiet too much. Now, that's not to say that I don't love a day here or there with a big chunk of quiet time alone, away from my family, and the noise that that always brings but examining myself? Hmm....have to work on that one I guess. Yesterday I went for a bike ride. Now this is not in and of itself anything earth-shattering. You might say to yourself, 'big whoopee ding dong she went for a bike ride'...and you are right, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary as bike rides are concerned. However, as I was riding my bike I had some kind of an epiphany. Well, maybe not so dramatic as that. Okay, let's try this - I had a thought. (yes that's better). I thought to myself, 'It's so quiet and look how beautiful this place is'. And right after that I got a bug in my eye and then swallowed a couple more. And then I started cursing the beautiful bike ride and all it brought.

So if I was to examine myself openly and honestly during my quiet bike ride I would come to the following conclusions about myself:

+I don't like the taste of bugs

+Bugs in my eyes don't feel so great and tend to get in the way of trying to stay on top of your bike

+And I have a phobia that some big buck is going to try to attack me this time of year as I ride by, thinking I might be another buck coming in to challenge him for all the ladies.


-maybe I should just stick with running...

No comments:

Post a Comment