
So, last Saturday I ran in my first 5k race. If you're like me, or how I used to be, you might think - 'Wow! 5k - that's long!' Well, it is really only 3.1 miles - not that big of a deal in the scheme of things but for me, it might as well have been a mountain climbing expedition! :)
I had an opportunity to run in a 5k last month but I woke up to a wet, drizzle and decided that I didn't feel like running in that weather...turns out the weather was perfect for a run and I was so mad at myself for not doing it. So, when I found out about this one nothing, not even my husbands absence, having to get a babysitter, or the heat of the day would keep me away from running this race. So, I dropped off my kids at my cousins house and headed to the race. The closer I got to the location, the sicker I started feeling. Really hilarious actually - I can run 3 miles, I do it every once in awhile! But there you have it, that sick feeling in my gut. And I found myself thinking back to last August when I was in the first 5k of my life. Back in August when I was 70 pounds more than I am now, and I walked the whole 5k and it took me over an hour. Back in August when after the race, that week I got pneumonia because my body was so out of shape it just gave up. And I thought to myself, 'if I could walk that back then...I can run it now'
So, I ran it - I did walk for 4 minutes (have to confess these things or the guilt will eat me up) but I finished running and even have a picture to prove it. And, I actually am going to frame that picture and put it in my room, where only I have to see it - to remind myself of my accomplishment. 70 pounds less, able to run 3 miles...I am starting to feel like I need a new goal! :) And, this August, when I run in that 5k that I walked in last August, I have a feeling it's going to be a very emotional experience for me. Kind of like I'm being reborn or something (okay, maybe that's too melodramatic!) but at least feel like I have now proved that I can do things that I never thought were possible before now. It's very empowering.
(oh yeah and the picture up on top? I would be one of the ones in the middle...not the yellow guy! lol)
I'm so proud of you! What a great accomplishment - can't wait to see what you do in Ellen's Run!
ReplyDeleteSOOOOOO proud of you!!!
ReplyDelete