Monday, January 25, 2010

Charlie Brown and me


So, since I've begun this weight loss journey I've begun to enjoy the exercise part of this new life. Now, I'll probably deny it to your face if you ask me that in front of anyone because I do have a personna to maintain here, however, I do enjoy how I feel after working out. I guess I kind of feel more alive. Like I was in a dark tunnel for a long time and I'm just starting to see the light at the end of it. Is that a little melodramatic? I'm sure it is but then again, that's me! :)


Anyway, here is the issue. When I was being formed I think God said, 'Well, I'll give her lots of musical stuff but that athletic stuff she won't ever be needing...we'll skip right over that!' Here is the run-down of my life in athletics....


4th grade joined the soccer league - every game lost, except the 1 I didn't play in...hmm...

9-10th grade JV softball team - tried my best but never really achieved 'greatness'

9-10th grade field hockey - tried out for the team my 11th grade year but didn't make it because I would be taking the spot of someone who actually had potential (I kid you not, this is what the coach told me)


And thus ends my athletic life. Well, actually I discovered when I went to college that I could spend a lot of time outside walking from class to class, taking life fitness class, taking archery, playing raquetball (which I was actually pretty good at), hiking up the local mountains, etc. Not really very 'athletic' but that was me. I've always excelled at musical adventures so I shouldn't complain...however, here is my 'issue'.


Now, I'm ready to try some more athletic things and I know, I KNOW that I'm not really athletic...now that doesn't mean I'm no going to try. The NEW and IMPROVED Amanda is going to try new things and not be afraid to fail. I'll try skiing (tried it once in 7th grade and gave up after falling leaving the lodge...true story)...I'll try water skiing again (my brother-in-law who has never failed to get anyone up on skiis, yep, he failed with me once)...I'll try anything and not get discouraged if I fail because I feel like after all of this weight-loss and all the struggle it is, I want to find fun things to keep it off! And, having 3 boys, I want to be having fun WITH them, running on the beach with them, swimming in the pool with them, etc. etc.


Just wish I was a little more like Lucy and a little less like Charlie Brown.... :)

3 comments:

  1. We all have our gifts. And excercise is about personal fitness, not competition. One of the great things about being an adult is we only need to do the things we do well. No one is making us take gym class anymore and play volleyball! But we can stay fit by walking, hiking, swimming - and only competing with ourselves. It's great to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing remembering the two of us on skis when we went with Youth Group! I was terrible!! Ahh.... good times. And I am astonished at your field hockey story. I remember that you tried out, but I didn't remember that the coach said that to you. ouch! The truth is, at this stage of life for us, sports can be a lot more about having fun than about being competitive, which is hopefully something we can pass onto our own kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I struggle with not wanting to push my kids into sports because of my own experiences and knowing it's good for them because of my own experiences - does that even make sense?!? But, I know that if nothing else, we will be an active family together. I went for a tiny bike-ride with the boys yesterday and it just made me happy!

    ReplyDelete