
When I married Ben 13 years ago I knew he had a passion about something. This passion is an overwhelming, all-consuming love affair that he has. This love affair is not with me, oh no no no - this love affair is with fishing. I can't pretend to understand this affair of his. Perhaps its the sterotypical male response to trying to provide for his family - or perhaps its just the appreciation of solitude that draws this man into this world every spring. I can't illuminate you wholly on the joys of fishing. What I can say is this - he is a happier man when I let him fish. He is a better husband when I allow him the few hours of solitude on the local beaches throwing a line into the water and trying to pull in a big striped bass for our dinner table.
But here's the catch (pardon the pun) - as much as he probably loves the solitude that fishing brings him - he is almost always willing to drag along at least one of his boys to enjoy the adventure along with him. He delights in sharing the excitement that only catching a striped bass can bring (again not really understanding it here...) - but I know that these boys are very lucky to have a father who not only has a great appreciation for the outdoors and a desire to maintain God's earth but who is willing to take the time to train his sons to do the same and to grow into something similar.
I love my boys...all 4 of them. :)
And well you should!
ReplyDelete