Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Weddings and Funerals

Why is it that we only get together with our relatives for weddings and funerals? For some of our relatives (names withheld, lol) this is a good thing as we can only stand them for two or three events in a lifetime. For others, when we get together with them it is so much fun and we laugh as we reminisce of the times we spent together when we were growing up.
I've been lucky enough to grow up and continue to live with many of my extended family. To this date I have my two brothers and families living here, my parents, three sets of aunts and uncles and seven of my 1st cousins and their families as well. I can honestly say that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't count myself lucky enough to not only have close relationships with these people but that I consider myself friends with some of them as well.
I know there are a lot of people out there who do not enjoy their families AT ALL - but I really do. Of course we sometimes have our differences, who doesn't?!?, but overwhelmingly we get along and get along fairly well.
As my family heads to a funeral in Pennsylvania for my husbands grandfather I realize how lucky I have it. Most people only get to see their families for weddings and funerals. I get much more than that and I sincerely miss most of my family - a few very extended family members nonwithstanding of course - when they're not here. Just food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of Ben's grandfather's passing. I hope that your trip went well.
    And by the way, you are lucky to have so much family near by. I even thought that when I was a kid and you invited me to Grandma's Sunday dinner.

    ReplyDelete