Friday, October 9, 2009

The Power of Friendship








I've been thinking a lot this week about how important my friends are to me. I guess it's because this weekend is my annual 'girls weekend' which I think is our 4th annual one now. I have been very lucky in my life to have wonderful friendships which have spanned many many years. My first 'best' friend would have been my sister, who I shall call Pookie, and although we had some rough times when we were small, she became my first best friend. I can't imagine not having her around to discuss problems with, figure out solutions, or just laugh our butts off (which we do very well). She knows me for who I am and loves me anyway and being that today is her birthday I have to only think of the fond memories that we share together. Actually, most of the memories that come to mind involve either getting hurt or laughing so hard my side hurts or some other momentous time in my life. She is someone who shares my past, enjoys my present and will be with me in the future. My second 'best' friend is my friend Rebecca, who I went to high school with and was involved in church groups with. We have our combined interests but our faith has always stayed towards the top of our connections. She lives in England so she won't be hanging with us....then I went to college and my best friend in college was Sondra. I call her Sandy, she calls me Mandy (which we both hate!) and she and I in a lot of ways are more like sisters than like friends. I value her so much in my life and although we live so far away from each other seem to just jump back into the same 'ole same 'ole when we get together. My friend Kim-Kathie will be there as well and she and I went to college together but it wasn't until after college that we reconnected and became best friends. We have shared 'issues' in life...our husbands are very similar, we both are working Mom's, she is hysterically funny and I value the laughter she brings in my life and the shoulder to cry on should I need it. And lastly, my sister-in-law Kim will be there. Although she is the newest 'member' to this motley crew, she fits right in and has done nothing but enrich my life with more friendship. I value her friendship just as much!!!

So, this weekend we will be spending a night in a hotel together, laughing so hard that we almost pee our pants (I probably WILL due to 3 babies...) and stay up half the night just talking and reminding ourselves what is truly important about life. We will most likely be discussing the 'bead' story, waxing various body parts and what that may entail, our various exploits of the past year and other fun stories. How is it that with these four people I can truly be myself and enjoy myself so much I don't know but I do know that this happens and it is so awesome. I love my husband, I love my kids and collective family but sometimes it's only my friends and the powers they have that keep me sane and happy in life. For me I think it's especially important due to the testosterone that I have to live in around here everyday, that I have this estrogen connection...but beyond that, these guys are so awesome and I love them and I just can't wait to hang with them this weekend again. Love you guys!!!

3 comments:

  1. love this post!!!! save it...it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "shout out" Manda! Now I DEFINITELY have to join you for girls weekend some day..... (IF I do, can I get a framed print of your lovely "you're the piss in my pants" quote?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can Becca! :) LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete